Monday, December 8, 2008

I have been thinking a lot about the question I posed at the beginning of the semester: what does it mean to be an American woman in 2008? I have come to the conclusion that in today’s society, there is no set role or idea of what a woman should be. A woman can be a stay at home mother, or work full time. She can work from her home office and be there when the kids get home from school. The stereotypical role of “woman as housewife” is no longer how a woman is perceived in today’s culture.

What does it mean to be an American woman in 2008? It means anything is possible. There is no right or wrong role. We are incredibly lucky to have come so far. I am reminded of a scene in the movie the “Mona Lisa Smile.” Katherine Watson, a professor at Wellesley, encourages Joan Brandwyn, her student, to go to law school. Joan recently got engaged and thinks she has to choose between school and a family. Katherine tells her otherwise. The conversation is as follows:

Joan Brandwyn: It was my choice... not to go. He would have supported it.
Katherine Watson: But you don't have to choose.
Joan Brandwyn: No, I have to. I want a home; I want a family, that's not something I'll sacrifice.
Katherine Watson: No-one's asking you to sacrifice that, Joan, I just want you to understand you can do both.
Joan Brandwyn: Do you think I'll wake up one morning and regret not being a lawyer?
Katherine Watson: Yes, I'm afraid that you will.
Joan Brandwyn: Not as much as I regret not having a family, not being there to raise them. I know exactly what I'm doing and it doesn't make me any less smart.
[Katherine looks down]
Joan Brandwyn: This must seem terrible to you.
Katherine Watson: I didn't say that.
Joan Brandwyn: Sure you did. You always do. You stand in class and tell us to look beyond the image, but you don't. To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests. You're the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want.
Katherine Watson: [hugs Joan] Congratulations. Be happy.

No comments: